Skip to main content

Spring into Summer!

 It's March and time to Spring into Summer!  New month, new season, NEW GOALS!  Since I am done with my marathon training cycle and don't have another big race until December, it is time to focus more on strength training and nutrition in order to gain muscle and get leaner and fitter.  Marathon training is really hard on the body, as in physically and mentally stressful.  So, it's always a good idea to switch gears for a while after coming off a marathon training cycle.  Spring and summer are the perfect time to focus more on strength training, nutrition, and weight loss (if desired), and I AM READY!  

Next week, I will be doing the new 3 month BODi program called Dig Deeper with Shaun T.  It is already getting rave reviews from people in my community, and has the power to truly change your body composition if you put in the work.  These are longer workouts (close to an hour), so I will definitely have to start waking up at 4:30am again in order to get it done before work, and still have time to run 2-3 days a week.  I am going to pair this fitness program with our 2B Mindset Nutrition program that basically follows healthy eating principles.  No measuring, no counting, just focusing on lots of water, protein, veggies, fiber-filled carbs, and fueling your body in a way that makes you feel your best.  My virtual accountability group for the next 3 months with focus on springing into summer with strength training and simple nutrition for busy moms, and I am so excited to encourage a group of women like myself to make time for themselves and their health and fitness, whether that's with 20 minute workouts OR 60 minute workouts.  (Dig Deeper is optional, we have something for everyone!) 

I am reminded of the importance of knowing the season you're in, embracing it, and living in sync with it when it comes to taking care of ourselves.  I remember being in a season as a newly wed and having so much more time freedom when it came to working out.  My husband and I would run together, go to the gym together, and even did boot camps together.  We then started a family, and found ourselves in the midst of growing our careers, building a new house, and raising babies with very little time for our fitness.  Fast forward a few years, and we figured out a way to make it work with trading off in the evenings.  He'd go for a run, come home and high five me, and then I'd go for my run.  Teamwork was the dream work.  And then fast forward to having bigger kids and now teens, who obviously sleep through the night and also like to sleep in on the weekends.  It is easier for us to workout in the early morning hours while our girls are still asleep.  They can be left home alone, and they also understand how important health and fitness is to us.  They have grown up seeing us run and workout.  We are in a season where we are VERY BUSY, but can also make time for what is important to us.  Time for working out and training for races.  And before we know it, we will be empty nesters and have similar time freedom as we had prior to kids.  Just older and slower, right?!  

So when you think about what season you are currently in, do you have time for a 20 minute workout at home, or do you have time to wake up and get in a 60 minute workout, go for a long run on a Saturday, and even train for a marathon?  Not every season is for marathon training.  Not every season allows for longer, harder workouts.  But do you have 20 or 30 minutes a day where you can squeeze in a workout from home?  Do you have time to take care of yourself so you can be a happier, healthier mom and spouse? 

We all have time.  It just looks different in every season.  Do what makes sense for you.  Do what makes you feel good and have energy and joy to live in your season.  Don't compare your season to someone else's.  Embrace your season.  Know how to be "when and where" you are.  

Reach out if you want to join my Spring into Summer virtual gym community!

Until next time,

Allison

I am @filluptospillout on IG.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create a Morning Routine

On my journey to create the best version of myself and create a more fulfilling life, I have learned the importance of a good morning routine.  How we start our day can have incredible impact on how the rest of our day goes.  Starting our day with gratitude, time in scripture and prayer, and setting our intentions for the day sets us up for success.  Creating time to work on ourselves and our goals is life changing.  Not feeling rushed, unorganized, and flustered in the morning is important in setting the tone for the day. I have always been someone that wakes up early, mostly because I have to!  In my younger high school days, I would often set my alarm for 4 am to finish up homework or study for a test before an early morning practice.  In college, it was often the same way.  I just never seemed to have enough hours in the day or would tire out early at night, so I was left with early morning hours to get my work done.  As a nurse in the hospital, I had to be at work by 6:40am, so

What it's like to run a Marathon

Is running a marathon on your list of goals or dreams?  Or does the thought of running 26.2 miles sound absolutely crazy to you?  Maybe running 3 miles sounds like an impossible goal.  I'll admit, running a marathon was definitely not on my aspiration list until about 7 years ago.  I had always enjoyed running, but 3 miles (a 5K) was about my longest run.  I don't know if I even knew anyone who had run a marathon or even a 1/2 marathon back then.  After all, less than 1% of our country's population has completed a full marathon.  26.2 miles is a long ways, right?! 7 years ago, my husband went on a transformation journey of his own, hugely motivated to lose weight and get healthier.  It had been a few years since we had run any sort of distance, and he started with the goal of running a 5K, then a 10K, then decided to sign up for a full marathon in January of 2014.  It was quite a lofty goal, but he was determined to do it, and he had my full support.  In fact, I start

Is Coronavirus taking a toll on your mental health?

As a healthcare provider still going to work during the coronavirus pandemic, I see the toll that all of this fear, uncertainty, change, and social distancing is taking on our mental health.  People are experiencing more anxiety, depression, insomnia, fatigue, loneliness, and overwhelm.  Even those of us who are safe and well and not personally affected by the virus itself are still feeling the affects of having to spend more time at home, change the way we do things, and practice social distancing.  Nothing feels normal, and it's unclear if anything will ever get back to "normal." A lot of us are used to being BUSY.  We thrive on being busy, productive, and having goals and plans.  We love routine.  We love predictability.  We love a full calendar filled with activities.  This "being still" thing is hard.  We are mourning the loss of community and all the things that filled our days.  Coronavirus has wiped our calendars clean.  Literally everything we look