Skip to main content

Let's have a feel GOOD, get FIT summer!

 Happy June, over a week late!  I just realized I never wrote a blog post in May, probably because May was CRAZY with end of the school year stuff and EXTRA CRAZY weather around here.  It was the wettest month EVER in Central Texas with over 15 inches of rain with several storms including hail and a tornado just a few miles from my house.  We are just a few weeks into summer and have been busy with storm clean-up, driver's ed classes for our oldest (eek!), camps, and workouts.  As our kids get older, summers just don't quite feel the same as sports never really stop and there are more and more things on our calendar.  We are looking forward to a couple of getaways coming up later this month and into July, which will hopefully be fun and relaxing, before getting ready for back to school in August.  I know this summer will fly by, but we are planning on making the most out of it.

When it comes to my health and fitness, I am focusing on having a feel GOOD, get FIT summer.  I am a few weeks into the 80 day obsession workout program with my favorite trainer (an oldie, but goodie that I have never done) and can already feel myself getting so much stronger in my legs and core, which is good since it's HOT and I want to feel more confident wearing shorts this summer.  When it comes to running, I am currently in a maintenance season, running a few days a week with a 5K coming up in July, and then I'll start training for my next 1/2 marathon in the Fall, adding more running mileage to check off my goal of 1000 miles in 2024.  I plan on signing up to run Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, Minnesota next June, so some spring marathon training will be on my calendar next year, and we're excited to check off a few more states during that trip (10 more to go!).  


When it comes to feeling good and staying fit in my 40's and beyond, there are 3 things I do every single day and encourage other women to do as well... 

1. Lift weights at least 3 days a week with progressive overload (that means go up in weights!  don't just stick with your 5lb dumbbells!) in addition to running/walking/biking/hiking/swimming and living an active lifestyle.  Learn to love the journey, as fitness is not a destination!  

2. Fuel your body with protein (at every meal), produce (eat the rainbow of fruits and veggies), whole grains (possibly gluten-free if it makes you bloat), and significantly limit highly processed foods and alcohol.  Food is fuel, listen to your body, and eat what makes you feel good!  

3. Make time to take care of YOU!  Prioritize your sleep, start your day earlier with a workout and a morning routine, read more, and invest in your health and your hobbies that you are passionate about.  Fill your own cup!  

I recently created a workbook guide with ALL my best tips for feeling good and getting fit in your 40's and beyond if you want to check it out!  



Things I'm loving right now...

Chobani vanilla greek yogurt with frozen raspberries, a drizzle of honey, and Nu Trail granola for breakfast or a snack.  

It cosmetics Confidence in a cream and hello sunshine skin care products, because skin care over 40 is important!  

EOS 24 hour body lotion and these other products.  

Super Hero Muffins from the Run Fast, Eat Slow cookbook.  I love meal prepping these on Sunday and enjoying them for breakfast or as a snack.  They're gluten-free and filled with fruits and veggies!

Some passion projects I'm working on and looking forward to...

I have starting writing my 3rd book again and hope to have it done in the next year!  It's a book about running, but more about ALL the ways running teaches us about life.  

And... I'm starting a podcast!  Podcasts have kept me company through the throws of life and motherhood since 2019, and I can't wait to start sharing and encouraging with my voice in this way.  I have my microphone and a list of topics to get me started, and I hope to start pushing play in August (or maybe sooner).  Here's the 1st draft of what this might look like!  I hope you'll take a listen when it comes out.  More to come on this next month.... 

If you're wanting to have a feel GOOD, get FIT summer and you aren't sure where to start... I hope you'll join me in my virtual gym community where I'll help you pick a home fitness program that is right for you in YOUR season and offer support and encouragement when it comes to simple nutrition, motivation, and accountability.  Reach out in my DM's over filluptospillout on IG or send my an email at filluptospillout@gmail.com for more info!!


 Success doesn't start in the gym.  It starts in your mind.  

Until next time,

Allison 

  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create a Morning Routine

On my journey to create the best version of myself and create a more fulfilling life, I have learned the importance of a good morning routine.  How we start our day can have incredible impact on how the rest of our day goes.  Starting our day with gratitude, time in scripture and prayer, and setting our intentions for the day sets us up for success.  Creating time to work on ourselves and our goals is life changing.  Not feeling rushed, unorganized, and flustered in the morning is important in setting the tone for the day. I have always been someone that wakes up early, mostly because I have to!  In my younger high school days, I would often set my alarm for 4 am to finish up homework or study for a test before an early morning practice.  In college, it was often the same way.  I just never seemed to have enough hours in the day or would tire out early at night, so I was left with early morning hours to get my work done.  As a nurse in the hospital, I had to be at work by 6:40am, so

Podcasts

You might be someone that has been listening to podcasts for years, or you might be asking what the heck is a podcast?  I discovered podcasts about 2 years ago, and they have literally changed my life.  I used to "multi-task" by running, doing chores, walking the dog, or driving AND listening to music or maybe watching a TV show.  Then one day, I discovered the world of podcasts, and I can't get enough of them.  Did you know podcasts are totally free?  If you have an APPLE device, there is a purple podcast APP already on your device.  Simply click on it and search through thousands of podcasts and subscribe to the ones you want to follow each week. A podcast is essentially an internet radio show that you can listen to via your device.  It's free content on almost any topic you can think of.  The host downloads new episodes each week, giving you something to look forward to.  If you follow any motivational speaker, author, or thought leader, it is very likely they ha

What it's like to run a Marathon

Is running a marathon on your list of goals or dreams?  Or does the thought of running 26.2 miles sound absolutely crazy to you?  Maybe running 3 miles sounds like an impossible goal.  I'll admit, running a marathon was definitely not on my aspiration list until about 7 years ago.  I had always enjoyed running, but 3 miles (a 5K) was about my longest run.  I don't know if I even knew anyone who had run a marathon or even a 1/2 marathon back then.  After all, less than 1% of our country's population has completed a full marathon.  26.2 miles is a long ways, right?! 7 years ago, my husband went on a transformation journey of his own, hugely motivated to lose weight and get healthier.  It had been a few years since we had run any sort of distance, and he started with the goal of running a 5K, then a 10K, then decided to sign up for a full marathon in January of 2014.  It was quite a lofty goal, but he was determined to do it, and he had my full support.  In fact, I start