Skip to main content

New Year, New Decade, New Goals!

I have always been someone that loves the beginning of a new year.  I look at January 1st, and often the beginning of a new school year in late August as a fresh start.  I like to clean, organize, declutter, reevaluate, simplify, plan, and set new goals.  I'm not necessarily someone that comes up with a "resolution," but instead looks at areas to improve my life, my routine, my habits, and my vision.  It's a good time to reflect on the year, what worked and what didn't work, focus on accomplishments, focus on the theme of the year, focus on preserving meaningful memories, and decide how to best move forward.

2019 was a great year for me and my family.  I experienced an enormous amount of growth as a person, ran 2 half marathons, wrote my first book that I hope to publish soon, established a consistent early morning routine, read 18 books, and attended my 1st personal growth conference.  We traveled to 4 different states as a family, attended our 1st big music concert (MercyMe), attended our 1st big broadway musical as a family (Hamilton), went to our 1st horse race (Arkansas Derby), and enjoyed lots of other meaningful memories as a family.

Maybe your year didn't go as planned, goals weren't accomplished, unexpected events got in the way, other things required more of your attention, you experienced failure as you tried to pursue your dream, and that's okay.  What's important is that you made it through and you have another day and another year to pursue the person you hope to be.  Some years and some seasons are tough.  What's important is that you are moving forward.

The beginning of a new year is a great time to decide what really matters.  What good things do you need to fill your cup with in order to spill out to others?  What routine, habits, and standards will allow you to be the very best version of yourself?  How are you going to set yourself up for success?  How will you be intentional in the way you live your life, serve others, and pursue your dreams?

What I have learned over the years is that I can not be all things to all people all the time, but I can be present and really good exactly where I am.  When I am at work, my focus is on being the health care provider that each patient needs.  When I am with my girls, I strive to be present, be a listener and encourager, a giver of affection, and show them in many ways that they are seen, heard and loved more than they know.  When I am with my husband, I strive to be a good wife.  During my early morning hours, I give full attention to taking care of myself through journaling, devotion, exercise, and writing.  I am at my best when I am pouring into myself.  When my cup is filled up with good stuff on a regular basis, I have plenty to pour into others.  I am happier, more fulfilled and just more positive in general.  Lots of people and things depend on me to be at my best.  Therefore, my own physical, spiritual, and emotional health is a priority, and it should be for you too!

Take some time to reflect on what really matters.  Look back on the last year or even the last decade and decide how you wish to go forward.  What routines, habits, and standards do you wish to have as you plan out your year?  Is there a word you'd like to focus on as you pursue this best version of yourself?  Are there certain goals you'd like to accomplish?  How will you go about pursuing and accomplishing these goals?  How will you make time for yourself?  If you fail to plan, you plan to fail, so let's get planning!



This year I took time to make my 1st vision board.  I did this activity with my kids and each of us created a poster board with words and pictures that helped create our vision for 2020.  I have goals of running my 3rd marathon in honor of my 40th birthday, publishing my 1st book and writing a 2nd book this year, doing a better job of meal planning and nourishing my body with healthy foods, growing my knowledge by reading more books, growing my faith, growing my marriage and making date nights a priority, traveling, and stepping outside my comfort zone.



I also took time to do some vision mapping in my @ Rachel Hollis @Start Today Journal.  I decided on my top 10 visions for 2020 and focused on how I might achieve those visions for myself.  For example, IF I want my life to glorify God, IF I want to be faith-filled, THEN I need to be including Bible reading, prayer, morning devotional time, christian music, scripture writing, serving in the nursery at church, and serving in my community as goals.  Another example is IF I want to be a patient, loving, present Mom, THEN I need to spend one-on-one time with each girl on a regular basis, have excellent communication with them, spend time doing fun activities together, not be on my phone when I am with them, be positive, and lead by example.

If we are not intentional about how we live each day, each year, each decade, our lives will literally just pass us by.  We will wonder where the years went, why we didn't make time for having fun with our kids, why we didn't travel the country and see the world, why we didn't make dating our spouse a priority, why we didn't write the book, run the marathon, go back to school, take the art class, change jobs, go on the trip with our friends, join a small group at church, go to the concert...  These things don't just happen.  You have to take intentional steps in the right direction to make these things become a reality.  Be intentional with your time.  We get this one life, this one body, this one opportunity.  How will you use it?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create a Morning Routine

On my journey to create the best version of myself and create a more fulfilling life, I have learned the importance of a good morning routine.  How we start our day can have incredible impact on how the rest of our day goes.  Starting our day with gratitude, time in scripture and prayer, and setting our intentions for the day sets us up for success.  Creating time to work on ourselves and our goals is life changing.  Not feeling rushed, unorganized, and flustered in the morning is important in setting the tone for the day. I have always been someone that wakes up early, mostly because I have to!  In my younger high school days, I would often set my alarm for 4 am to finish up homework or study for a test before an early morning practice.  In college, it was often the same way.  I just never seemed to have enough hours in the day or would tire out early at night, so I was left with early morning hours to get my work done.  As a nurse in the hospital, I had to be at work by 6:40am, so

Podcasts

You might be someone that has been listening to podcasts for years, or you might be asking what the heck is a podcast?  I discovered podcasts about 2 years ago, and they have literally changed my life.  I used to "multi-task" by running, doing chores, walking the dog, or driving AND listening to music or maybe watching a TV show.  Then one day, I discovered the world of podcasts, and I can't get enough of them.  Did you know podcasts are totally free?  If you have an APPLE device, there is a purple podcast APP already on your device.  Simply click on it and search through thousands of podcasts and subscribe to the ones you want to follow each week. A podcast is essentially an internet radio show that you can listen to via your device.  It's free content on almost any topic you can think of.  The host downloads new episodes each week, giving you something to look forward to.  If you follow any motivational speaker, author, or thought leader, it is very likely they ha

What it's like to run a Marathon

Is running a marathon on your list of goals or dreams?  Or does the thought of running 26.2 miles sound absolutely crazy to you?  Maybe running 3 miles sounds like an impossible goal.  I'll admit, running a marathon was definitely not on my aspiration list until about 7 years ago.  I had always enjoyed running, but 3 miles (a 5K) was about my longest run.  I don't know if I even knew anyone who had run a marathon or even a 1/2 marathon back then.  After all, less than 1% of our country's population has completed a full marathon.  26.2 miles is a long ways, right?! 7 years ago, my husband went on a transformation journey of his own, hugely motivated to lose weight and get healthier.  It had been a few years since we had run any sort of distance, and he started with the goal of running a 5K, then a 10K, then decided to sign up for a full marathon in January of 2014.  It was quite a lofty goal, but he was determined to do it, and he had my full support.  In fact, I start