Skip to main content

Fill your cup February!

 


Happy February, the month for LOVE, right?!  It's fun to celebrate those we love by gifting them flowers, chocolate, and enjoying a fancy meal, whether it's with a significant other, our kids, or our galentines.  My husband, our girls, and I have always celebrated Valentine's Day at home with seafood/steak, wine, and chocolate covered strawberries.  Simple, but special.  

February is also a month I like to focus on SELF CARE!  It is actually one of my least favorite months of the year, because it is often COLD, brown, and dreary.  As someone who thrives in sunshine and warm weather, I tend to get depressed if I don't have something to focus on, which is why I often run a marathon in January or February.  It forces me to get outside and run and train and show up even when I don't feel like it.  In addition to training for a race, I also try to focus on other things that FILL MY CUP like my early morning routine, reading and listening to books and podcasts, getting my nutrition back on track after the holidays, organizing the house, and treating myself to some things that make me FEEL my best.  

In 2019, I had this idea for a book, and sort of a brand, if you will, and decided to go for it.  Fill up to spill out is what came to my head, because what I kept hearing from my patients who were in a similar season as me with work and kids and ALL the things, is that they did not feel like they had time for themselves.  They came in depressed, anxious, tired, and gaining weight, and the conversation usually centered around not having time for exercise, hobbies, and things that they used to do.  And I could remember a few years of my life when I felt the same as a new mom with 2 young kids and a new job and a house and so many responsibilities.  I would get frustrated when my husband left to do things with his friends or when he didn't help me around the house.  It wasn't until I started running again and having hobbies and passions of my own in 2013 that I felt happy again.  I no longer cared if he went hunting for the weekend or met up with his friends, because I also had time for myself to do things that filled my cup. We often traded off when the girls were little, and of course as they've gotten older, they can stay home alone when I go for my long runs.  What I realized is that we don't just find time in the day to do the things we love, but rather MAKE time to fill our own cups.  And sometimes that means waking up at least an hour earlier.  My alone time is often at 5am.  I love quiet mornings to drink my coffee, read, journal, workout, and get myself ready for the day.  I actually THRIVE in the early hours of the day.  But it doesn't happen unless I make it happen.  

I truly believe that we can't live well, love well, or serve well if we are not making time for ourselves and the things that fill our cups each day.  Even if it is just 30 minutes of working out at home or 20 minutes of reading a good book at night, or taking time to meet up with friends for dinner once a month or getting Starbucks and walking around Target ALONE... we all need that time.  

So this month, my virtual gym accountability group is focusing on Fill your Cup February where we will have daily assignments that focus on self-care that fills our cups.  Things like Fitness, Nutrition, Mindset, Morning Routine, Daily habits, Treating ourselves, and Loving ourselves while working on ourselves. There will also be some participation prizes, because we all love PRIZES, right? 

It's not too late to join us if this sounds like something you need right now!  Reach out to me at filluptospillout@gmail.com OR at filluptospillout over on instagram if you want to get signed up.  One of my greatest joys in life is helping someone FALL in LOVE with taking care of themselves and finding JOY and happiness again.  

But change requires action.  If you wait until you have time or what until you feel like it, you will never change.  You have to decide to take action and MAKE the time.  We make time for what is important.  And taking care of YOU is IMPORTANT!!!  

Until next time,

Allison  

4.4 miles for my 44th birthday last month! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create a Morning Routine

On my journey to create the best version of myself and create a more fulfilling life, I have learned the importance of a good morning routine.  How we start our day can have incredible impact on how the rest of our day goes.  Starting our day with gratitude, time in scripture and prayer, and setting our intentions for the day sets us up for success.  Creating time to work on ourselves and our goals is life changing.  Not feeling rushed, unorganized, and flustered in the morning is important in setting the tone for the day. I have always been someone that wakes up early, mostly because I have to!  In my younger high school days, I would often set my alarm for 4 am to finish up homework or study for a test before an early morning practice.  In college, it was often the same way.  I just never seemed to have enough hours in the day or would tire out early at night, so I was left with early morning hours to get my work done.  As a nurse in the hospital, I had to be at work by 6:40am, so

What it's like to run a Marathon

Is running a marathon on your list of goals or dreams?  Or does the thought of running 26.2 miles sound absolutely crazy to you?  Maybe running 3 miles sounds like an impossible goal.  I'll admit, running a marathon was definitely not on my aspiration list until about 7 years ago.  I had always enjoyed running, but 3 miles (a 5K) was about my longest run.  I don't know if I even knew anyone who had run a marathon or even a 1/2 marathon back then.  After all, less than 1% of our country's population has completed a full marathon.  26.2 miles is a long ways, right?! 7 years ago, my husband went on a transformation journey of his own, hugely motivated to lose weight and get healthier.  It had been a few years since we had run any sort of distance, and he started with the goal of running a 5K, then a 10K, then decided to sign up for a full marathon in January of 2014.  It was quite a lofty goal, but he was determined to do it, and he had my full support.  In fact, I start

Is Coronavirus taking a toll on your mental health?

As a healthcare provider still going to work during the coronavirus pandemic, I see the toll that all of this fear, uncertainty, change, and social distancing is taking on our mental health.  People are experiencing more anxiety, depression, insomnia, fatigue, loneliness, and overwhelm.  Even those of us who are safe and well and not personally affected by the virus itself are still feeling the affects of having to spend more time at home, change the way we do things, and practice social distancing.  Nothing feels normal, and it's unclear if anything will ever get back to "normal." A lot of us are used to being BUSY.  We thrive on being busy, productive, and having goals and plans.  We love routine.  We love predictability.  We love a full calendar filled with activities.  This "being still" thing is hard.  We are mourning the loss of community and all the things that filled our days.  Coronavirus has wiped our calendars clean.  Literally everything we look