Skip to main content

How to fall in love with running and fitness!

Next week is Valentine's Day, but instead of talking about the people in our lives that we love, let's talk about FALLING IN LOVE with RUNNING and FITNESS.  Did you know that the best way to LOVE yourself (and others!) is by taking care of your HEALTH?!  And when it comes to being the healthiest version of yourself, it's ALL about fueling your body with foods that BLESS your body, moving your body every single day in a way that makes you feel STRONG and ENERGIZED, finding an activity/sport that you LOVE, and working on your MINDSET.  Getting healthy starts in our MINDS.  We have to fall in love with the process of taking care of our bodies!  Because this is not a short-term goal, a way to lose weight and then stop doing it.  This is a lifestyle.  And we only get one life and one body, and even though some days or years feel long, life is actually pretty short.  And don't you want to FEEL good and have lots of fun and adventures in this ONE life you get?  I know I do! 
So, how do you FALL in LOVE with RUNNING and FITNESS (or maybe your thing will be biking, hiking, swimming, and lifting heavy weights and not include running at all)?  

It all starts with a WHY... and it shouldn't be about weight loss.  Yes, the actions might lead to weight loss, but if your why is all about weight loss and seeing the number on the scale go down, you will probably get frustrated and stop after the first month.  Your WHY needs to be stronger than "my doctor told me I need to lose weight, so I signed up for a gym membership."  Your WHY needs to be about how you want to FEEL, what you want to be able to do, who you want to be able to do it with, what you want to wear and feel comfortable in, and it needs to be important.  An example would be, "I want to start running and lifting weights so I can have more energy and be a healthy example for my kids, and we can go to Disney World and walk ALL the miles and ride ALL the rides together.  I want to feel strong and confident in my clothes and live a life of adventure."  This why has nothing to do with weight loss and everything to do with FEELING better and living a more fulfilling life.  
After you have your WHY, you need to have a PLAN that is convenient and fun.  You have to get a little obsessed!  This is where you buy the new shoes and a few outfits that make you feel like the ATHLETE you want to be, decide where you are going to workout (I personally love working out from home because of the CONVENIENCE and COMFORT), what you are going to do every day, what time you are going to do it, what you're going to eat before you do it, how you are going to track your progress, what you are going to read or listen to in order to get your mind right, who's going to help hold you accountable, and what goals you are going to set along the way (5K in 2 months, 10K in 6 months, 1/2 marathon next year etc.).  
And then comes the FALLING in LOVE with the JOURNEY and the PROCESS part.  This is not a 4 week program and stop when you don't get the results you were hoping for.  Good things take time!  This is a FOREVER PLAN.  And yes, it can change as you go through life (as I'm sure I won't be running marathons when I'm 70... or maybe I will...), but this is your healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life.  Get CRAZY about it!  GO ALL IN.  Do SOMETHING every single day whether it's walking, running, biking, lifting weights, doing yoga, swimming etc.  Schedule your workouts like you schedule your kid's activities.  Become a 5am workout queen!  Get your steps in before most of the world wakes up.  Sign up for local races, travel the country to run others, challenge yourself with heavier weights, decorate your home workout space to make it a FUN place to workout, join an accountability group, get a workout buddy, buy the hot pink shoes!  If it's not fun in some way, you'll quit doing it.  If you decide to become obsessed with it and how good it makes you feel, you will keep showing up.  
Want to know what has helped me stay consistent with running and working out as a busy working mom for the last 11 years?  
1. I always have 2 big races on the calendar each year (and a few short local races scattered in between).  When I have something to train for, I stay motivated.  I'm a goals person.  I LOVE goals.
2. I invest in good running shoes and workout clothes and gear that makes me feel comfortable and happy.
3. I schedule my workouts each week just like I schedule my kid's sporting events and appointments.  I usually sit down on Sunday and map out my week with my planner.  
4. I wake up EARLY.  My alarm goes off around 5am most mornings, so I can do my morning routine and get my workout in before waking up the kids and getting ready for work.  
5. I prioritize sleep and get to bed around 9 or 10 every night.  I set the coffee pot the night before and often have my workout clothes laid out and I know exactly what I am going to do when I wake up. 
6. I workout from home where it is convenient, comfortable, and fun.  I run in my neighborhood or surrounding neighborhood/parks, and I lift weights in my little home workout space that I created.  It's as easy as pushing play, and these BODi programs are fun and get you results!  
7. I listen to podcasts, audiobooks, and music on my runs and walks to make it more enjoyable.  I actually look forward to that alone time each day.  
8. I have a morning routine that includes a gratitude practice, personal development, and tracking my progress.  I write down 5 things I am grateful for each day and also my workouts and anything I want to keep track of.  
9. I do some meal prepping on the weekends, like roasting veggies, cooking a protein for the week, cutting up fruit etc.  
10. I have a virtual accountability group with other women who "get me," and help to keep me motivated, excited, challenge me and cheer for me.  

All it takes is a WHY that is important, a PLAN that is doable in your season of life, and some PASSION for the process to be successful at living a healthy lifestyle that you LOVE.  And I'm here to help!  As a BODi coach, I have a virtual gym community that you can be a part of where you will have a PLAN and plenty of support to keep you engaged and motivated.  I personally LOVE running and fitness, and getting passionate about it and this idea of filling your cup each day has been so life-giving to me in this busy season of life where I am working, raising a family, caring for a home, and ALL the things.  I could easily make excuses about why I don't have time to workout or pursue running and fitness goals right now, but instead I MAKE time for what is important, and taking care of myself so I CAN LOVE others well is super important.  
My hope is for you to fall in love with FITNESS like I have, and if I can help you on this journey in any way, please reach out!  I am @filluptospillout on instagram.  

Until next time, 
Allison 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create a Morning Routine

On my journey to create the best version of myself and create a more fulfilling life, I have learned the importance of a good morning routine.  How we start our day can have incredible impact on how the rest of our day goes.  Starting our day with gratitude, time in scripture and prayer, and setting our intentions for the day sets us up for success.  Creating time to work on ourselves and our goals is life changing.  Not feeling rushed, unorganized, and flustered in the morning is important in setting the tone for the day. I have always been someone that wakes up early, mostly because I have to!  In my younger high school days, I would often set my alarm for 4 am to finish up homework or study for a test before an early morning practice.  In college, it was often the same way.  I just never seemed to have enough hours in the day or would tire out early at night, so I was left with early morning hours to get my work done.  As a nurse in the hospital, I had to be at work by 6:40am, so

What it's like to run a Marathon

Is running a marathon on your list of goals or dreams?  Or does the thought of running 26.2 miles sound absolutely crazy to you?  Maybe running 3 miles sounds like an impossible goal.  I'll admit, running a marathon was definitely not on my aspiration list until about 7 years ago.  I had always enjoyed running, but 3 miles (a 5K) was about my longest run.  I don't know if I even knew anyone who had run a marathon or even a 1/2 marathon back then.  After all, less than 1% of our country's population has completed a full marathon.  26.2 miles is a long ways, right?! 7 years ago, my husband went on a transformation journey of his own, hugely motivated to lose weight and get healthier.  It had been a few years since we had run any sort of distance, and he started with the goal of running a 5K, then a 10K, then decided to sign up for a full marathon in January of 2014.  It was quite a lofty goal, but he was determined to do it, and he had my full support.  In fact, I start

Is Coronavirus taking a toll on your mental health?

As a healthcare provider still going to work during the coronavirus pandemic, I see the toll that all of this fear, uncertainty, change, and social distancing is taking on our mental health.  People are experiencing more anxiety, depression, insomnia, fatigue, loneliness, and overwhelm.  Even those of us who are safe and well and not personally affected by the virus itself are still feeling the affects of having to spend more time at home, change the way we do things, and practice social distancing.  Nothing feels normal, and it's unclear if anything will ever get back to "normal." A lot of us are used to being BUSY.  We thrive on being busy, productive, and having goals and plans.  We love routine.  We love predictability.  We love a full calendar filled with activities.  This "being still" thing is hard.  We are mourning the loss of community and all the things that filled our days.  Coronavirus has wiped our calendars clean.  Literally everything we look