Skip to main content

Our health is important


My biggest reasons for taking care of my health are these 2 girls right here.  Being Mom to my girls is my greatest joy and will ultimately be my greatest accomplishment.  I want to be healthy so I can have the energy to keep up with them, so I can be around to see them grow up and one day have children of their own.  I want to set a great example of what being healthy means.

Women are natural caregivers.  We take care of everyone around us which can include children, our spouse, our pets, people we serve at our job, sometimes parents or other family members, our friends, and our community.  We often carry around a mental load that is far greater than anyone else's.  We know everyone's schedules, when it's time to buy groceries and other home goods, when to make appointments for others, what daily/weekly/monthly endless chores need to be done around the house to keep things running smoothly, and who needs what, when, where, and why.... That mental load can be heavy, the monotonous tasks can seem daunting, everyone else's needs can suddenly take over our entire life, leaving us feeling drained, and we can forget that in order to care for everyone and everything around us, we have to also take care of ourselves.  In flying terms, we need to put our oxygen mask on first before assisting those around us.

Our health needs are important.  If we are not taking care of our own health needs, we will find that we have less to give to others.  We simply cannot pour from an empty cup.

This includes:

1. Getting proper sleep at night.  Create a nightly sleep routine that allows for 6-8 hours of sleep.  I realize this is sometimes difficult with a newborn, so give yourself some grace if you have a baby, and just do the best that you can during that short season.

2. Eat regular meals, focusing on nourishing your body.  Think protein, vegetables, fruit.

3. Drink lots of water.  Most people need at least 64oz of water a day.  That's a lot of water!

4. Exercise most days of the week, 30 minutes a day if you can.  Our bodies need exercise to stay strong and have energy.  We have to make this a priority and carve out this time for ourselves.

5. Take care of your emotional health.  This might look like journaling, reading, listening to music, doing a Bible study, praying or meditating, or enjoying a hobby that brings your joy.

6. Schedule your appointments to take care of your health.  Get a yearly wellness exam at your doctor's office.  Women need a Pap smear every 3-5 years, a mammogram every 1-2 years starting at age 40 (got my 1st one this week!), and other screenings starting at age 50.  Keep your immunizations up to date, including a yearly flu shot starting in October.  Schedule dental cleanings every 6 months and eye exams if needed.  These things are important. Our health matters.

7. Schedule your self-care.  Your hair appointments and any other appointments that you consider self-care are just as important in helping you feel your best.  Neglecting to get your hair done because you are too busy taking care of everyone else around you leaves you feeling "not your best."  So find time to schedule regular hair appointments, get your nails done, get a massage or do anything else that boosts your confidence and therefore allows you to care for others in a more meaningful way.

Be intentional about how you schedule your day and live your life.  All of these health tips are completely achievable if you plan for them.  If you fail to plan, you plan to fail and these things never get done.  Plan to make yourself a priority so you can better serve those around you.

Have a "healthy" week!  ~ Allison

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create a Morning Routine

On my journey to create the best version of myself and create a more fulfilling life, I have learned the importance of a good morning routine.  How we start our day can have incredible impact on how the rest of our day goes.  Starting our day with gratitude, time in scripture and prayer, and setting our intentions for the day sets us up for success.  Creating time to work on ourselves and our goals is life changing.  Not feeling rushed, unorganized, and flustered in the morning is important in setting the tone for the day. I have always been someone that wakes up early, mostly because I have to!  In my younger high school days, I would often set my alarm for 4 am to finish up homework or study for a test before an early morning practice.  In college, it was often the same way.  I just never seemed to have enough hours in the day or would tire out early at night, so I was left with early morning hours to get my work done.  As a nurse in the hospital, I had to be at work by 6:40am, so

Podcasts

You might be someone that has been listening to podcasts for years, or you might be asking what the heck is a podcast?  I discovered podcasts about 2 years ago, and they have literally changed my life.  I used to "multi-task" by running, doing chores, walking the dog, or driving AND listening to music or maybe watching a TV show.  Then one day, I discovered the world of podcasts, and I can't get enough of them.  Did you know podcasts are totally free?  If you have an APPLE device, there is a purple podcast APP already on your device.  Simply click on it and search through thousands of podcasts and subscribe to the ones you want to follow each week. A podcast is essentially an internet radio show that you can listen to via your device.  It's free content on almost any topic you can think of.  The host downloads new episodes each week, giving you something to look forward to.  If you follow any motivational speaker, author, or thought leader, it is very likely they ha

What it's like to run a Marathon

Is running a marathon on your list of goals or dreams?  Or does the thought of running 26.2 miles sound absolutely crazy to you?  Maybe running 3 miles sounds like an impossible goal.  I'll admit, running a marathon was definitely not on my aspiration list until about 7 years ago.  I had always enjoyed running, but 3 miles (a 5K) was about my longest run.  I don't know if I even knew anyone who had run a marathon or even a 1/2 marathon back then.  After all, less than 1% of our country's population has completed a full marathon.  26.2 miles is a long ways, right?! 7 years ago, my husband went on a transformation journey of his own, hugely motivated to lose weight and get healthier.  It had been a few years since we had run any sort of distance, and he started with the goal of running a 5K, then a 10K, then decided to sign up for a full marathon in January of 2014.  It was quite a lofty goal, but he was determined to do it, and he had my full support.  In fact, I start