Skip to main content

What it's like to run a Marathon



Is running a marathon on your list of goals or dreams?  Or does the thought of running 26.2 miles sound absolutely crazy to you?  Maybe running 3 miles sounds like an impossible goal.  I'll admit, running a marathon was definitely not on my aspiration list until about 7 years ago.  I had always enjoyed running, but 3 miles (a 5K) was about my longest run.  I don't know if I even knew anyone who had run a marathon or even a 1/2 marathon back then.  After all, less than 1% of our country's population has completed a full marathon.  26.2 miles is a long ways, right?!

7 years ago, my husband went on a transformation journey of his own, hugely motivated to lose weight and get healthier.  It had been a few years since we had run any sort of distance, and he started with the goal of running a 5K, then a 10K, then decided to sign up for a full marathon in January of 2014.  It was quite a lofty goal, but he was determined to do it, and he had my full support.  In fact, I started running again as well, and later in the year, we ran our 1st 1/2 marathon together.  It was good preparation for him during his marathon training, and it was something fun for us to do together.  2 months later, he completed his 1st full marathon, and it was truly inspiring.  I'll never forget him coming around that last corner before the finish line.  I had tears in my eyes, and I could barely speak.  Thank goodness for our girls and some friends, along with Ted's parents who were there to cheer him on!  It was in that moment that I decided I wanted to run a marathon.  If he could do it, I could do it too.  Unfortunately, it would be 2 more years before I would get my chance.  A foot injury during all our running caused me to slow down for about 18 months, but in January 2016, Ted and I got to run one together!  What an amazing experience that was to run side by side for 26.2 miles and cross the finish line together.  The only thing that would have made that moment even more special was having our girls there to cheer us on.  I decided I would have to run another one.  11 months later, I ran a 2nd marathon alone so my girls could be there to cheer me on.  Crossing that finish line and being greeted by my biggest fans was amazing.

     Ted's 1st Marathon January 2014 (Houston) with his parents

            Ted's 2nd Marathon January 2015 (Houston)

           Our Marathon Together January 2016 (Houston)

      My 2nd Marathon December 2016 (Bryan-College Station)

It's been a few years since that last marathon.  I have continued to run at least 1 or 2 half marathons a year since then, but for my 40th birthday this year,  I decided to conquer this big goal again.  What better way to celebrate a birthday than challenging yourself to do something that requires strength and endurance?  I trained alone, fueled by motivating podcasts, audiobooks, and music in my ears this past year.  And yesterday, my family and I woke up early and drove to Austin so I could run 26.2 miles to celebrate this body God gave me.  My awesome husband and girls drove around all morning long finding me on my run, cheering me on as I put one foot in front of the other for 6 hours and 5 minutes up and down the hills of Austin, Texas.  Most people hit their "wall" at mile 18.   Yesterday, I hit mine at mile 13.  I wanted to be done.  I wanted to get in my car and go home and call it good.  But I had to keep going.  I had committed to running a marathon, so I kept pushing myself another 13 miles, one painful mile at a time until I reached the finish line.  It was grueling and challenging, but I finished what I had set out to do.  I doubt I'll run another full marathon, unless some crazy person is able to talk me into it.  I think I'm 3 and done, but I'm glad I've challenged myself.  On our way home, I asked the girls if they will ever run a marathon, and my older girl said yes.  Watching her mom do big things has inspired her to want to do big things too, and I can't wait to cheer her on, even if it's not a marathon, but another dream in her heart that she wants to pursue.

                        Austin Marathon February 2020

What does it feel like to run a marathon?
Well....
*It's exciting... for the first 13-15 miles, and then it starts to hurt.  Everything hurts.  
*It's one painful step in front of the other, 1 mile at a time, one hour at a time for about 55,000 steps over 5-6 hours.
*It's 50 of your favorite, most up-lifting songs on replay in your ears.
*It's all the candy and water and gatorade and anything that might fuel you.
*It's time in your own head with your own thoughts.
*It's worship and prayer... lots of prayer.
*It's community on the roads, thousands of strangers coming together to run and volunteer and cheer you on.
*It's inspiring as you watch people of all ages complete something so difficult.
*It's mind over matter.
*It's strength over pain.
*It's grit and determination and endurance and perseverance.
*It's that feeling of achievement as you finally cross the finish line and see your loved ones.

Whether you decide to train for a marathon (or a half marathon) or do something else that requires dedication, determination, faith over fear, courage and perseverance, I believe in you!
You can do it!  Just keep going.  Just keep trying (and sometimes failing)!  Push yourself.  Believe in yourself.  Find a way to enjoy the journey.  Just sign up.  Just commit.  Do it for yourself.

Have a great week ~ Allison

Comments

  1. Congrats on your marathon !! 40 is going to be great! Super inspiring blog Allison. I thing I want to try for a 1/2 marathon and a full marathon seems wonderful except I don't know if it is meant for me, lol. The first time I took Andrew to Disney, we bought tickets for two days, one was a full day in Magic Kingdom and the second was a park hopper. The second day we were on a mission to visit every park and do a little bit of everything, including our most favorite rides at each park. We were able to complete our mission and had a blast but the next morning it was so hard to walk! My feet hurt in places I never knew feet could hurt, lol! So that is awesome you have ran 3 full marathons. YOU GO GIRL! Can't wait to see what other dreams you accomplish. Keep up the good work and thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create a Morning Routine

On my journey to create the best version of myself and create a more fulfilling life, I have learned the importance of a good morning routine.  How we start our day can have incredible impact on how the rest of our day goes.  Starting our day with gratitude, time in scripture and prayer, and setting our intentions for the day sets us up for success.  Creating time to work on ourselves and our goals is life changing.  Not feeling rushed, unorganized, and flustered in the morning is important in setting the tone for the day. I have always been someone that wakes up early, mostly because I have to!  In my younger high school days, I would often set my alarm for 4 am to finish up homework or study for a test before an early morning practice.  In college, it was often the same way.  I just never seemed to have enough hours in the day or would tire out early at night, so I was left with early morning hours to get my work done.  As a nurse in the hospital, I had to be at work by 6:40am, so

Podcasts

You might be someone that has been listening to podcasts for years, or you might be asking what the heck is a podcast?  I discovered podcasts about 2 years ago, and they have literally changed my life.  I used to "multi-task" by running, doing chores, walking the dog, or driving AND listening to music or maybe watching a TV show.  Then one day, I discovered the world of podcasts, and I can't get enough of them.  Did you know podcasts are totally free?  If you have an APPLE device, there is a purple podcast APP already on your device.  Simply click on it and search through thousands of podcasts and subscribe to the ones you want to follow each week. A podcast is essentially an internet radio show that you can listen to via your device.  It's free content on almost any topic you can think of.  The host downloads new episodes each week, giving you something to look forward to.  If you follow any motivational speaker, author, or thought leader, it is very likely they ha